At Providence Church we believe parents have primary responsibility for the discipleship of their children. Thus, the church strives not to replace the spiritual influence of the parents, but to supplement parental instruction and assist parents in their holy calling of making disciples who love God and others.
With that in mind, each Sunday Providence Church serves parents and their children with the following:
- Nursery – For children from birth through age 2 there is an optional nursery during the Sunday school hour, the 10:30AM service, and during the Sunday evening activities. The nursery is centrally located near the sanctuary and Sunday school rooms.
- Sunday School – Not settling for entertainment or babysitting, our Sunday school teachers impart biblical knowledge and emphasize Scripture memory. We use curriculum from Children Desiring God and each class is taught by a husband and wife team. Our classes are assigned based on age rather than academic grade, promoting the first Sunday in August.
- Children’s Church – There is a brief children’s message during the 10:30AM service, after which the children (ages 3 through 2nd grade) have the option of going to children’s church during the sermon time. There, a husband & wife team teach the children the same content of the sermon, but in a format easier for them to understand and with activities on their level to reinforce the topic(s) of the day. After the sermon, they rejoin us for the remainder of the service.
- Sunday Night – On Sunday nights there is a class for the preschool children taught by one of the elders and his wife that relies heavily on catechism. Also, there’s a class for the older children, which is presently looking at historical heroes of the faith and hymns & their authors.
In addition to the aforementioned weekly activities, there are also various special events throughout the year for the edification of the children, including the following annual events:
- Youth Disciple Now
- Vacation Bible School
- Youth Camp
- Reformation Celebration (last Saturday in October)
- Nursing home visit to sing for residents